Walk Of Life 1

Hmm..today I had my very first try at observing life. I have the urge to do so a few weeks ago, but was too lazy. But today I have decided to try it out.

My chosen location was at the area of the now closed JEC. Nearby there is some coffee shops and quite a lot of ppl since today is a weekend. Perfect. I decided to walk very slowly to observe better what people are actually doing and feeling. This trial took about 45 mins ( dun say I too much time hor, quite meaningful leh LOL).

I realised when I walked slowly, people around me seemed to be moving very fast. I noticed that most people seemed to be rushing for something.I see no reason to rush as today is a weekend. I also noticed that most people's faces were kind of..in a sad mood. Clearly their eyebrows were frowning about something. People at my age tend to walk very fast( lyk I saw some student alone walking, very fast). People in groups tend to be happier than those I saw walking alone. Those walking alone were either looking down or frowning.

I walked past a maid agency and I kind of peeked inside. I could see a row of workers sitting down there, obviously nt in a very gd mood. One of them was looking at me. Through her expression, I could tell that she was quite down at the time. It is understandable as they leave their hometown and come a long way to singapore to work. They will of course be worried about their family back in hometown and whether they will be hired or nt in singapore. They were nt talking to each other too, making the atmosphere feel very tense although I was standing outside.

I went inside a supermarket to continue observing life. I could see a grandson rushing his grandmother to walk and choose faster( the grandmother was choosing some fish). From this I can see the different attitudes they displayed. I can see very long queues for the counter. People were rushing to buy.

Next I went to the nearby coffeeshop. A man in his 50s was selling tissue paper to the customers. Although he is handicapped, he maintains a smile when selling, even if customers dun buy from him. He also needs to endure the looks upon him by other people. This is a contrast as some shopkeepers sell their goods without a smile, or even grudgingly. Although I do not know whether the man selling tissue is truly happy or nt, I feel sympathy towards him as he needs to walk around to sell. The rainy day has obviously added to the burden.

I went home by bus after that. The bus was quite empty at that time. For some reason, people were staring blankly at the front or outside, expressionless. It was quite scary though when I observed them carefully.

My first try has been a fruitful one, I say. Young people I saw walked very fast. Most people when walking do not even look to their sides, only walking(or striding) forward. Are people really that busy to even slow down, to really observe and enjoy the surroundings? Do they even know what are they really rushing for? Why are we even frowning all the time, although we are well-off financially? Why people like the man selling tissue paper generally frowned upon, although they are jus making a living in these hard times? Clearly, people are too stressed by the fast-paced life here.

I do not know when the next time I will be doing these kind of stuff again, but I shall be choosing another place to try out the next time.

And people should really consider taking a break like me, haha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No title for the day....

Waste time...